Skip to main content

How Has Legal Recreational Cannabis Affected Colorado Adolescents?

Amendment 64, which legalized recreational marijuana in Colorado, took effect in January of 2014. Some question the ramifications of lawful cannabis in terms of public health and safety, as do I.  As both an adolescent and Colorado citizen myself, I wonder to what extent legalization has promoted use among Colorado youth, and how, in general, our youth have been affected? To seek out the truth, I looked to the facts. 

To grasp a basic understanding from professionals in the field, I first analyzed a source titled “How Has Legal Recreational Cannabis Affected Adolescents in Your State? A Window of Opportunity”. The authors tell why the absence of comprehensive research in early adopting states is limiting future policy and scientific discovery. Authors Ewing, Lovejoy, and Choo, believe that adoptive states, Colorado alike, may have missed an imperative opportunity to research the preliminary effects of legalization of adolescents, due to a lack of federal concern. They refer to adolescents as “… most susceptible to the potential harms of drugs…”  and question the national concern of how cannabis legalization can and will affect adolescents (Ewing et al. 246). Although only a minute period has passed, and change can be gradual, they outline the need for better focused, surveilled evaluation to track the margin of change among adolescent use. But they also suggest that the lack of reliability in such surveys and lack of legal authority to administer cannabis to persons under 21, profoundly limits research. The authors blame, thus far, undiscovered harms on the lack of “… rapid routes of funding…” and acknowledge that, “...cannibis revenues […] have not yet been directed to evaluation [of such legislation]” (Ewing et al. 247). As other state’s legislatures consider ratification of recreational cannabis use, the authors emphasize the urgency of “timely evaluation” for both the sake of law-making and patient care. The authors advocate the need for “… empirical data rather than popular belief and speculation.” (Ewing et al. 247).

After evaluating this piece, one fundamental question resonates with me: If there is a lack of studies to evaluate recreational marijuana legislation, does that mean that there isn’t really a problem that concerns Colorado adolescents and authorities? More importantly, do the profit, revenue, and taxes raised by the cannabis industry outweigh the alleged “cost” against Colorado youth? Or better yet, from an ethical standpoint, should it, because the cost of adolescent safety and health is priceless? I think this article, however, neglects to discuss what was previously known about marijuana’s effects on the human body. It’s not as if there is no knowledge; I sense that there is just a lack of knowledge specific to adolescents. Although the effects of adult vs. youth may vary, I assume that the effects could only be worse on an underdeveloped brain and body. I’d like to understand what data does exist, so I can formulate my own conclusions. While I think there may be ramifications, I have yet to decide whether they are positive or negative. 
  
Works Cited

Ewing, Sarah W. Feldstein, et al. "How Has Legal Recreational Cannabis Affected Adolescents in Your State? A Window of Opportunity." American Journal of Public Health, vol. 107, no. 2, Feb. 2017, pp. 246-247. EBSCOhost, doi:10.2105/AJPH.2016.303585.





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that the abstract of the source you read says it "mentions cannabis dispensaries and advertising in relation to a potential increase in cannabis use by young people in the U.S." This is interesting to consider. We certainly allow ads for alcohol in our culture, and don't seem to worry that teens will see alcohol ads on TV regularly. I wonder if comparisons have been made between advertising strategies of tobacco, alcohol, and legal marijuana? I also wonder where teens are really seeing cannabis ads in Colorado? Is it just on storefronts and billboards? I certainly don't remember seeing any TV ads, but I could probably describe/quote half a dozen beer or liquor ads that I have seen on TV in the past week! I guess I just wonder if we are in a transition phase where marijuana is becoming more like alcohol and tobacco in terms of our tolerance for it in the culture?

    And, did you get the sense that the lack of studies/research is due to the federal illegality of the drug? Or to lack of interest in such research?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josi,

    I think that there is a lot of very interesting information about this topic. Especially being a teenager, I think that there are a ton of different effects of using marijuana. Going off of what Mrs. Easley said, I think that it would be interesting to explore the acceptance of it. Also, there are more and more dispensaries popping up and I wonder if that has some effects on teens. Are they using more often? and Is it easier for teens to get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josi,
    As a mother (to a 14 year old boy), this actually brings to mind some questions of my own. As Allison noted above, I know that this states that the lack of knowledge is due to lack of proper funding, research and such - but I also have to propose that because this is not federally mandated and legal, perhaps the youths don't want to admit or speak about it to anyone asking questions... From my own personal experience, when I was an adolescent, I definitely did not want to speak about anything that I wasn't "supposed" to be doing. Especially with adults. What about you, personally? Do you hear about it often and if you do, do you hear because of being in that social circle? Or is it hear/say?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marijuana Use: Neuroscience Perspective

.  After my last blog post, I was particularly curious about how marijuana use affects the brain – both structurally and behaviorally. So, I analyzed the scholarly source, “Marijuana Use: Neuroscience Perspective” by psychiatrist Lukasz M. Konopka. Konopka names cannabis as one of several psychoactive drugs that may become a gateway substance to addiction. The author ensures that marijuana does not have benign neurocognitive effects, and he refers to the prevalent assumption that it is innocuous as a “popular misconception”. The author, additionally, sheds light on the fact the humans possess endocannabinoid molecules. In layman’s terms, these are specific neurotransmitters that operate  “…in brain functions such as pain modulation, motor activity, reduced rapid eye movement, sleep, as well as mood, motivation, and higher cognitive processes.” (Konopka 281). Konopka suggests that because of this endocannabinoid system, which is indigenous to the human body, these preexisting recepto

Implications of Marijuana Legalization for Adolescent Substance Use

After my previous post, I now have reservations as to whether there is a real issue involving Colorado adolescents and marijuana abuse. As a supplement to my research, I wanted to learn further about potential health risks of both recreational and medical marijuana legalization specific to youth. Henceforth, I analyzed an article titled, “Implications of Marijuana Legalization for Adolescent Substance Use” published by Christian Hopfer, MD. The author declares that, due to recent Colorado cannabis legalization (recreational and medical) and ambiguity surrounding the “unknowns” about cannabis, it has been quite difficult to decipher implications on a susceptible youth. Hopfer suggests that recreational and medical legalization may have blurred the lines for youth between marijuana’s harmfulness and medicinal properties, which “…may lead to a substantial increase in adolescent marijuana abuse and dependence” (Hopfer 2). This is especially true being that marijuana is fairly accessibl